Saturday, July 21, 2007

Welcome to the Eastern Front

After thirty-two years in California, by way of New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, and with about three years left before retirement (barring another 9/11 and assuming Larry can continue to work his magic on our portfolio), the perfect storm appears unexpectedly on the horizon. My mother-in-law, whom we had moved from Texas to California many years ago, passes way in her late eighties. The last of the kids goes off to school. My fairly lucrative job, of which I had been bored out of my mind for two years, moves a hundred miles away. And my wife's company, which had vowed for years that it would always maintain its independence, proves to be no different than the rest of the crowd as it sells itself to a Megabank in Charlotte, North Carolina.



Of course, Megabank wants the Brain Trust to move to Charlotte to be closer to mother's bosom, and it is at this point the fly enters the ointment. My wife's company is known for its diversity and for the number of women in High Positions. This, of course, is a complete farce, as the Brain Trust is 100% an old boys' club. Spanky has been club president forever, and he's got an invisible sign on his door - NO GIRLZ ALOUD. BT has to go scrambling to find qualified women to move to Charlotte, and guess who is nominated?



Don't get me wrong. My wife IS one of the most qualified women in the company, and she should have been - DESERVED TO BE - a cigar chomping member of the BTIC (Brain Trust Inner Circle). Had she not decided to work part time for eight years when our youngest was born, she would have been sitting in Spanky's office and he would be growing Alfalfa on his farm in Utah. Still, her nomination is a blatant attempt to backfill the BT with the quality of individuals it is expected to have and should have had from the very beginning.



I couldn't very well expect her to take a Sherman - "If drafted, I will not run; if nominated, I will not accept; if elected, I will not serve." In fact, the Perfect Storm has already appeared, and the winds are blowing West to East. I agree that this is the Right Time to take advantage of the Big Opportunity. And so, having lived in the Bay Area for thirty-two years, in the same little town for twenty-nine years, and in the same house for twenty-four, we did a Jed Clampett: We packed up the truck and we moved to ..... Charlotte. Swimming pools, movie stars, Megabanks.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on both the move and the blog.

I love your writing style.

Keep on keepin' on.

Unknown said...

Hi Andy,



How come your blog comes out the same day as the “…Deathly Hallows?” Who gets it in the end?



Sharing my thoughts, I truly believe things just don’t happen; each has its own purpose.

I see what has occurred in your life as a means to change what has been in place for over 30 years. This offers tremendous freedom in becoming who you are without any tethers to the past.



So now the question, “Who are you?” I could leave it here and drive you deep into stress but I will, gratuitously of course, provide my own insight!!



I see you as being a leader in the Jewish community of Charlotte. You have a broad perspective on people and a beautiful capacity to empathize with others. This type of leader is one who enhances the worth of others so that they can make decisions on their own. A leader who is not concerned about control over others and sees that more can be accomplished by empowering others to make decisions. I see you as being this type of “empathic leader.”



The way in which you read the Torah and Haftorah and how others are mesmerized by your presence while doing this is the type of feeling people need to have in a good leader who will gain their following by gladly offered respect.



I see you creating a legacy based on your own inner strengths and heartfelt visions. Remember though that leaders must have both the “will” to lead and a “willingness” to lead. Enjoy the journey.



Larry
lawrencecahn@msn.com

925-550-8593 (cell)

Anonymous said...

Andy:
Not a clue if I'm actually sending something to your blog or not. Whaddya expect from an (obviously hypocritical) Luddite? Yours is the first blog I've ever looked at. May be the last. Me and the internet...... well, you know. It's worse than the piles of papers I keep.
I think the correct Sherman reference might be your obvious desire to leave a scorched path. Hey, go for it! When you start with images of Marcia smoking cigars, you have to examine if it's really worth it. However, there is definitely something to be said for getting out of the Bay Area to a place where people's lives are actually affected, on occasion, by the Iraq war.
I'm in Aspen again, breaking down and taking a shower in the rec center, since the very intense thunderstorms have made the campground streams I've been bathing in too muddy. Back to the heat and red rock tomorrow. My regards to the missus.
By the way, how is the blog different than simply sending your message to everyone you want? Oh, I get it: maybe everyone can read what I write this way Do I want that? Naaah

Love and a hug,
The Wandrin' Jew

Anonymous said...

This was a good read, but I'm ready for the next installment. Tell us about life in Charlotte, and your newfound love of Nascar! I'm sure your editor will approve the topic.

Anonymous said...

Dear Andy,
My first blog lok see too...Your dry wit speaks to my Irish heart..
Welcome back to the "civilized" coast..I look forward to hearing more of life in Charlotte as you settle in..
Susan Passmore